Tuesday 30 August 2011

Fashioning a better life for Malawi

Nicole Lee returned from her 5 weeks' volunteering with Quest last summer in Malawi, full of motivation to keep on giving her time and energy to support the orphans and vulnerable children of Malawi.  Nikki not only raised over £3,100 last year, garnering an amazing amount of support from her work colleagues at CCS Mobile through her efforts last year, but is now putting on a charity Fashion Show to raise money for Joshua Orphan & Community Care and Save the Children.

"The Fashion Show" is taking place on 25th September, from 4-9pm, at the Roker Hotel in Sunderland and looks set to be an ace evening out, with Debenhams providing clothes with an African twist, takes place on September, music from local spinner DJ Oneluv, and a couple of dance crew.  Oh and not to mention the free wine and raffle with seriously good prizes...er, iPad anyone??  Tickets are £10 and available from Debenhams Beauty Counter, The Roker Hotel and Lickety Split.

Nicole, of Seaburn, said: “When I went to Malawi it was a real eye opener. Coming back really did change me. I work full time and go out socially but this really changed my outlook on life.
“It made me evaluate what I really needed and what I didn’t and made me a lot more conscious about what I was doing and buying.  To make sure all of those who contribute on the night are kept up-to-date with how their cash has been spent, Nicole plans on returning to Malawi next year.

Local businesses have also put forward raffle prizes and helped Nicole put on the event.  “The support has been overwhelming,” she said.

Want to get in on the fundraising action? Drop Rose a line rose@quest4change.org.

No comments: